By Teri Olsen
Unplug from the hassle of bulky vacuums with the Bissell Manual Sweeper, a cleaning classic! This simple device is the perfect tool for refreshing area rugs, carpeting, and hard floors in between vacuuming.
Ever since Anna and Melville Bissell patented the original floor sweeper in 1876 – probably the best household invention since the broom and dust pan! – the Bissell manual sweeper has been the standard for easy cleanup.
Today’s models still look and work exactly the same as the older versions. I remember when I was a little girl, Great Grandma had one that I liked to play house with. Now I have my own!
Quick and Easy to Use
The Bissell Manual Sweeper cleans dirt, crumbs, hair, and other debris off floors and carpets without the hassle of cords or batteries – and it never needs recharging! That means this sweeper is always ready to go at a moment’s notice. You won’t have to deal with dusty bags or buy expensive replacement bags either!
Even if you have a good vacuum cleaner, the manual sweeper is a great backup. I swear, within hours of going through the trouble of vacuuming, I will already catch people dropping crumbs on the floor and tracking dirt in on their feet. A quick sweep of the area with the Bissell and I can feel that my accomplishment wasn’t wasted. Do this regularly and you won’t have to fret when an unexpected guest shows up!
Convenient and Quiet
The Bissell Manual Sweeper is slim and compact, making it ideal for dorm rooms, apartments, RVs, and other small living spaces. This convenient floor sweeper works great for craft rooms, classrooms, laundry rooms, or high traffic areas. It’s a must-have cleaning tool for home schools and home offices! You, too, can keep your own room or your whole home looking nice and clean with the Bissel manual sweeper.
Because it doesn’t have a motor or use electricity, the manual sweeper is eco-friendly, reliable and quiet. You can even use it to do a quick pickup without disturbing baby’s (or dad’s) nap time or disrupting a video conference in the next room. You’ve probably seen restaurant staff using these, because it lets them keep the place looking neat and tidy without disturbing their customers.
No Mess, No Fuss
The Bissell Manual Sweeper makes it easy to empty any collected dirt and debris without mess or hassle. The stuff that’s picked up turns into a compact wad of fuzz that you can just throw away. I empty mine after every use and I’m always amazed at how much it picks up that I didn’t even see on the carpet! Really, this sweeper works so much better than you would expect for such a simple device.
The only energy used will be your own human power, and even that requires minimal exertion. The rhythmic back-and-forth sweeping motion is a peaceful and fun way to clean, as you watch the dirt disappear right before your eyes. The sweeper is lightweight, safe, and easy to use so even a child can do it. Have the kids clean their own areas!
Handle with Care
I would be remiss if I didn’t mention a few caveats to keep in mind about the Bissell Manual Sweeper.
- The tip of the handle is about 38 inches off the floor, so if you’re tall you may have to bend over to use the sweeper. On the other hand, it’s the perfect height for children and short people!
- The metal handle is made of two pieces screwed together. Mine likes to unscrew itself while sweeping, which makes the handle feel loose and I have to twist it back on. No big deal, but maybe a little Loctite would stop that from happening.
- The handle is attached to the crossbar at one small point, which may not look too sturdy but should last fine in normal use. Just be sure to treat the sweeper gently. Don’t jam it into an overstuffed closet or bang it around or whack anything with it or let the kids play rough with it.
- Long hairs tend to get wrapped around the brushes. You can kind of unwind them and pull the hairs out by hand, but it takes a little extra time.
- Static electricity tends to build up while sweeping, which makes dust stick to the surface. I just wipe it off when I’m done, at the same time I empty out the bins.
Summary of Benefits
As a household cleaning tool, the Bissell Manual Sweeper is highly recommended for all of the following reasons:
- Simple and convenient – no cords to contend with, no charging base to plug in.
- Always ready to use – no batteries, dust bags, or filters to replace.
- 7 brush cleaning system includes 4 rubber corner brushes, 2 dirt agitating brushes, and 1 large center brush roll for quick and thorough pick-ups.
- Replacement brush rolls and handles are available.
- The manufacturer sells brush combs that clamp onto the handle, or just use an old comb you have at home, although in several months of use I haven’t seen a need for that yet.
- Dual easy-to-empty built-in dust bins allow you to collect dirt and debris without having to change bags or buy replacement bags.
- Multi-surface cleaning tool works on carpet, low pile carpet, area rugs, bare vinyl floors, sealed hardwood floors, rubber floor mats, etc.
- Great for quick cleaning of everyday messes like crumbs, glitter, and bits of paper.
- A good way to clean pet hair off your favorite area rug on a daily basis.
- Sweep up dirt and debris on both forward and return motions to save time.
- Slim, folding profile makes it easy to hide behind a door or store in the closet.
- Inexpensive so you can buy more than one sweeper for multiple floors or to keep handy in different rooms.
Available in these two cute colors: