The United States leads the world in higher education, with more than 4,000 institutions of the most diverse kind— state, private, secular, and religious. Hundreds of colleges and universities all over the nation accept home educated students, and some even actively recruit them. Such institutions have come to value these intelligent, responsible young people because of their maturity, creativity, disciplined study skills, independent thinking skills, and enthusiasm for learning.
Formal transcripts, diplomas, or GEDs are not always required, particularly at the community college level. However, if you are concerned about meeting college admission requirements, there are correspondence courses and online academies that will do the record keeping for you and issue official transcripts and diplomas.
Some homeschoolers take their high school classes at the local community college and thus receive a transcript from the college for those courses. Those students who take enough community college classes to receive an AA degree are then automatically considered transfer students by the university.
Homeschooling Teen magazine provides detailed descriptions of many homeschool friendly colleges and universities around the country. Find the right one for you!
Each issue of Homeschooling Teen magazine features another homeschool friendly college or university. Enter your email address to receive each monthly issue, which is posted on or around the first day of every month.
Attention Students & Parents: If you are a homeschool student or parent who has had a good experience with a particular college, please tell us about it! We want to know…
- What is their attitude toward homeschooled students?
- Do they actively seek out and recruit homeschoolers?
- Does the admissions staff have a solid understanding of homeschooling as an educational alternative?
- Are they familiar with the current laws as they relate to a qualified high school graduate?
- Are they willing to look at a student portfolio or parent-issued transcript in lieu of an accredited diploma or GED?
- Do they have a staff person dedicated to homeschool admissions?
Attention College Representatives: If you are from a homeschool-friendly institution of Higher Education and are interested in being listed, please contact: