A Common Sense Media Report found that 50% of teens surveyed “feel addicted” to mobile devices, and 59% of parents believe that their kids are addicted to these devices. Do you have a smartphone problem in your family? Read on to hear about a free video series that can help!
Can you believe it’s been 14 years since the first iPhone came out? Smartphones have come a long way since the iPhone arrived in 2007. It feels impossible to imagine our lives without our phones nowadays. Back then, no one could have anticipated the impact that this handy little gadget would have. While it was originally designed to be an “all-in-one” device, it has changed the way we connect forever.
11 years later, we have to manage and set boundaries for healthy relationships with our smartphones. On the one hand, smartphones are great for keeping up with current events and staying in touch with friends and relatives you may not be able to see every day. But on the other hand, overuse of smartphones can actually be detrimental to close family connections.
Are you sick of having these pocket rectangles ruin your family dinners? Even some teenagers admit that smartphone dependency may be making them lazier and prevent them from unlocking their full potential. But what can be done about it?
Reclaiming the Smartphone
In response to the increase in smartphone usage affecting families, the team at Axis.org created a free 3-part video series: Reclaiming the Smartphone.
These videos will help you answer the five vital questions all parents are asking about their teens’ smartphones:
- When should I get my kid a phone, or should I get them one at all?
- What do I do if they already have one and it’s out of control?
- How do I build trust with my teen and keep a heart connection with them?
- Is there a way for me to not always be seen as defensive or “the bad guy” when it comes to phones?
- How can I think biblically about my family’s phones?
In this free series, the Axis team will also help you start the four conversations every parent needs to have about smartphones:
- How is are smartphones good, how are they cursed, and how can we as a family redeem them?
- What are they for, and why are they important to our teen?
- Having a smartphone is a journey, not a destination.
- Feeling confident your teen knows: “You can tell me anything and I will be fair.”
More discussions will include…
- What’s good & bad about smartphones?
- How to build trust with smartphones?
- How can your family establish healthy habits?
Don’t tackle smartphones alone! Watch this free video series and feel equipped to start these conversations, build trust with your teen, establish healthy habits, and strengthen your relationships.
Axis.org is an online, non-denominational ministry that strives to “connect parents, pastors, teachers, guidance counselors, and any caring adult to the teens in their lives through meaningful conversation.” Axis was founded back in 2007 by David Eaton and Jeremiah Callihan, co-authors of Smartphone Sanity and Engaging Your Teens World.