By Charleton K.
I went to public school my whole life and have been teaching in public schools for nine years. I teach physics and forensic science to mostly juniors and seniors. I chose Liberty University for my graduate degree because: 1) it was online and 2) I wanted to know what taking higher education classes from a Christian college would be like.
One of the curriculum classes I took there exposed me to a biblical philosophy of education, which I had never experienced in any of my secular higher ed classes. It was a breath of fresh air and convicted my wife and I that we should be homeschooling our own children (I have a 6, 4, and 2 year old) to instill a biblical worldview. That’s part of the reason I’m interested in researching homeschoolers.
The other reason is my topic of evolution. Homeschoolers are a group of students who can actually learn about the multiple views of origins instead of just Darwinian evolution like in public schools. So my research is on the process they go through as they learn these multiple views and yet still end up with a biblical worldview.
I am currently seeking homeschool participants for my doctoral dissertation. Would you consider sharing this request with students who you think meet the following requirements?
- At least 18 years old
- Possess a biblical worldview
- Have taken at least one science class while they were homeschooled that taught about evolution
Homeschool participants will be asked to do the following:
- Complete an online demographic survey and worldview assessment – 35 minutes
- Complete a free word association form – 5 minutes
- Participate in a one-on-one interview with me via Zoom at their convenience – 1 hour
- Read the transcript from the interview and provide me with feedback – 30 minutes
- Participate in a follow-up focus group discussion via Zoom at their convenience – 1 hour
If you believe that you would make a good candidate for my research, please complete the following links. I will follow up shortly afterward to schedule the interview.
Demographic survey: https://tinyurl.com/kingdemographics
Worldview assessment: https://tinyurl.com/kingworldview
I’m hoping to begin interviewing homeschool participants during this coronavirus situation since I’m home and could use this time to get a lot of this chipped away!