A copywriter is someone who writes content just like a content writer. But while a content writer focuses on SEO article writing, creating web content, penning blog posts, and producing e-books, the main job of a copywriter is to write promotional copy for the purpose of advertising or marketing a product, business, person, opinion or idea.
Copywriting is a writing job with skill – it’s like a hybrid of journalism and marketing – and for you to make a living out of it you need to learn how doing it right will change your writing style. The main characteristic about copywriting is the ability to get people to take action. The main purpose of copywriting is to ensure that the landing page has been turned into a sales machine.
People generally only open two or three pages on the landing page when doing research – their criteria is that they just look at the headline and part of the content. However, opening them does not guarantee they will read the whole content. To be a great copywriter you must learn the art and skill of naturally converting visitors to readers; you need them to read your content to the end.
If you want copywriting to benefit your style, here are some points to note:
- Do not think to be a good writer automatically translates to being a good copywriter. Good writing is what you learn in high school or college. Yes, you know how to write, but you know nothing about producing a good sales copy. If you want to be a good copywriter, keep off complex words, vocabularies, and flowery language. Use the simplest language which can easily be understood to persuade people to take action. This is about selling – it is not like any other writing job such as academic writing or creative fiction.
- Understand the target audience and your marketplace. As a copywriter, more time should be spent on market research rather than writing. Since you are writing a targeted call to action for those who read your content, you need to understand them better to come up with relevant content they would like to read. When assembling your research findings make it simple and short so that consumers are not bored and leave before they take action.
- Make a point to practice your writing skills each day. Even if you are starting to learn about copywriting, make sure that you sit down every day and write. You can’t master copywriting skills by just reading about them you need to write to know whether you are good, if not where do you need to improve. The best copywriters practice at least one hour every day before they work on anything else. If you don’t have a client to write for, pick on any subject and write about it. Take promotional content and rephrase it until you get the hang of copywriting.
- The greatest of the copywriters write copies which can be easily read and understood by third and fourth graders. This does not mean that they think everybody is stupid, no. It’s just that at a quick glance, the reader should be able to understand what help you are offering whether a product or service. Nobody wants to be stuck on complex content they cannot understand. This does not mean that you scribble short sentences and leave it at that. In fact, consumers interested in something make sure they read lots of material on their desired subject.
- Do not get stuck at the practice stage; get your skills out there for all to see. If you want to start generating sales with your writing skills, make sure you offer writing services for a small fee and sometimes free. If you have a business or a service to sell, write about it and sell it. This is very essential because you will get feedback and improve your writing. This is the best way to prove that you are a great writer and you can be paid to write good content.
There are copywriters who work on staff with companies, organizations, and large corporations. Some copywriters are self-employed or freelance writers. A freelance copywriter is simply a copywriter who is not employed full-time by an ad agency or in-house writers department.
Marketing is a lucrative profession, and being a copywriter is what you need to earn a five or six figure income through writing. Unlike creative writers who often make next to nothing for their talents, if you are a good writer and specialize in copywriting, you will never regret it.