It was not so long ago that fathers and mothers did not think of any other educational training, except within the walls of a public institution. In the morning they rushed the kids to school, and then they ran to work; in the evening they hurried to take the children home. However, there is a quote by Albert Camus: “The school prepares us for life in the world that does not exist.” Indeed, real life subjects at schools are missing. There are no classes for things that are indispensable to everyday living such as financial literacy. Today, a different approach is increasingly common, and that is homeschooling.
Staying home from school would be a dream come true for many children. Homeschooling can be a necessity (due to medical reasons), or it may be done at the will of the parents. A teenager might also decide to drop out of school to be homeschooled. Depending on what brought about the decision to quit school and become a teenage homeschooler, the process of education itself and the necessary documents processing will be different.
Here are five reasons to quit school and become a teenage homeschooler:
- To focus and invest time in priorities. The advantage of homeschooling is that you can choose preferences and allocate time accordingly. For example, a teenager wants to enteron architecture. To do this, he needs to prepare for a creative drawing competition and do an excellent job in mathematics and physics. For two whole years, he can devote more time to the subjects needed for admission instead of daily trips to the school, and study the rest on his own and hand over as much as possible. The choice can influence the result of the EIT, therefore, on who will pay for university education: parents or the state.
- Minimize stress and take care of the psyche. It is no secret that upon entering high school the psychological pressure on teens increases significantly. It may be due to different factors: relationships with classmates or teachers, competition, the fear of disappointing parents, the fear of not coping and not going to college. Homeschooling allows you to choose which stresses are essential while eliminating non-constructive stress by physically eliminating their sources from the schedule.
- More consciously select the environment and relationships. For adolescents at this stage is an essential environment and they often focus on other adolescents. At school, there is not always someone to focus on, not still lucky with a healthy atmosphere or a teacher who can support it. The homeschooling format allows parents and children to choose whom to hang out with, whom to study with, which circles and classes to attend, thereby creating a safer and more comfortable environment for development.
- High motivation and understanding of why. Although children are accustomed to obeying and doing the required things at school, their motivation to study can significantly increase if they take control of their performance, if they remove the external controller and leave the room for freedom and decisions of learning. By this age, quite a few children understand where they want to grow and where to study; therefore, the home format can be an opportunity to prepare for EIT properly, admission and the university.
- Project management and the ability to plan time. In the conditions of home schooling, the child has the opportunity to practice mastering project management (planning and preparing for the delivery of various subjects), as well as the basics of time management. At school, as a student, this is partly done by the teacher or the schedule. At home, the child will be able to better prepare for how to control himself in the new realities of the future university education.
Of course, homeschooling is not a panacea for everyone. It may not be suitable for many children and families. However, there are many of those for whom such a format will be salvation in all senses. For children and families who trust each other, who can work on self-improvement, change and support each other in these changes. Thanks to the new law “On Education,” you cannot only try to leave school but also return if something goes wrong. This freedom and flexibility provided by the Ministry of Education for children and parents is a great gift. You need to try!
Deschooling is a challenging field of endeavor. A parent has to be flexible enough, self-generating, change oneself, one`s worldview, human factors. It is necessary to think a lot, to foresee before making such an important decision for your family. In addition to the bonuses of family education there is one more, very important: if a regular school divides children by age, then with a family format of training, everyone is in the same boat. Brothers and sisters spend a lot of time together, and they learn to interact, help, much more deeply involved in each other’s life, hence a stronger attachment.
Distance education is a precious education, so if your child is not ready to work on oneself, regularly perform all tasks and fight laziness, if the problem is not in the training format, but that he or she does not like to study, it is better to stay in a traditional school. Because it is possible to cheat, skip and fool around. If the kid is not afraid of difficulties, open to the new and likes to learn – congratulations in the world of remote homeschooling.