Jacksonville State University… Where You’re Going
From the moment you step foot on the campus of Jacksonville State University in Alabama or enroll in our online studies program you’ll discover that you are not the only one invested in your future. For more than 125 years our focus at Jacksonville State University has been on one thing: getting you ready for where you are going.
Jacksonville State University is a public university — a comprehensive teaching institution that provides educational, cultural, and social experiences for a diverse undergraduate and graduate student population. Located in northeast Alabama in Calhoun County, the school’s 459-acre campus is set in a picturesque area in the foothills of the Appalachians. The school is situated just north of Interstate 20 nearly mid-way between Birmingham, Ala., and Atlanta, Ga.
Where You’re Going… a top-notch education is waiting.
As a student-centered university, JSU strives to balance academic challenges with a range of support services for students, academic, career and personal goals. As an academic institution, JSU seeks to produce broadly educated graduates with skills for employment, citizenship, and lifelong learning. As a comprehensive university, JSU supports scholarly and service activities consistent with its academic and professional strengths.
JSU offers more than 150 courses of study including 24 graduate majors, seven graduate degrees, and extensive online offerings. Historically, JSU has graduated more teachers than any other college of education in Alabama, and the Princeton Review ranks the JSU College of Business among the nation’s best. JSU also offers excellent opportunities to pursue advanced degrees online. There are complete online undergraduate and graduate programs in emergency management available, as well as the online STEP (RN-BSN-MSN) program for nurses. In December 2010, the Howard Hughes Medical Institute selected JSU for the Science Education Alliance’s National Genomics Research Initiative.
Where You’re Going… the faculty actually knows your name.
The first step toward helping you succeed is really getting to know you. Our faculty works to build a strong learning environment that works for every student. The individualized attention and smaller class sizes at JSU translate into bigger academic success for you, and that is something worth knowing!
Where You’re Going… is the Friendliest Campus in the South.
According to the National Survey of Student Engagement, JSU deserves the title “Friendliest Campus in the South.” Factor in the local area’s national reputation for Southern hospitality and this may just be the friendliest campus anywhere. At JSU, being friendly isn’t something we do, it’s just who we are.
Where You’re Going… you can go the distance.
Jacksonville State University currently offers twenty academic programs online, including bachelor’s degrees, master’s degrees and graduate certificates, with even more coming online in Spring 2011. Check myjsuonline.com often for the latest offerings.
Where You’re Going… there are more paths to uncover.
Jacksonville State University is surrounded by 375,000 acres of the lush Talladega National Forest and recently completed the 23,000 square foot Little River Canyon Center, which serves as home to the JSU Field Schools. Also near JSU are the Chief Ladiga Rail Trail and Mt. Cheaha, Alabama’s highest peak. With such great outdoor activities right at your backdoor, JSU offers plenty of room to explore your future. So whether you’re into hiking, biking or simply relaxing, you’ll find that enjoying campus life at JSU just comes naturally.
Where You’re Going… has a rhythm of its own.
For the nationally acclaimed “Marching Southerners,” excellence is the norm. This award-winning band has been leading the way both musically and stylistically for more than 50 years. And every year, they carry on the tradition of captivating stadium crowds throughout the Southeast.
Jacksonville State University is ready to help you tackle the exciting challenges that lie ahead and achieve success personally and professionally. We look forward to helping you get ready for where you’re going next.
More Quick Facts About JSU
· JSU began in 1883 as a two-year school to train teachers.
· In Fall 2009, 9,351 students were enrolled at Jacksonville State University (59% female, 41% male). 3,334 of those students took courses via Distance Education.
· Jacksonville State University’s International House Program began in 1946. In 2009, JSU’s student body included 234 international students representing 71 countries. Today, Jacksonville State University has an English Language Institute and partnerships with four Chinese universities.
· Students at Jacksonville State University experience a low student to teacher ratio (20:1) and have the opportunity to participate in more than 100 clubs and organizations while pursuing their degrees.
· Prestigious alumni of JSU include Randy Owen, lead singer of the award-winning group Alabama; and Heather Whitestone McCallum, Miss America 1995.
· JSU is the only school in the nation to lay claim to National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) national titles in football (1992), men’s basketball (1985), baseball (1990 and 1991), and women’s gymnastics (1984 and 1985).
· JSU’s colors are red and white and our mascot is a Gamecock.
· Jacksonville State University loves Homeschoolers!