Spartanburg Methodist College (SMC) is the only private, regionally accredited, residential two-year college in South Carolina. Our 110-acre campus is just minutes from the mountains, just over an hour away from Charlotte, North Carolina; and within a three-hour drive of Charleston, South Carolina, and Atlanta, Georgia. There’s so much to enjoy on our beautiful campus and in the vibrant college town of Spartanburg that we love calling it home. We hope you will, too!
SMC offers general college education courses exclusively for freshmen and sophomore students. Choose from six degree programs: Associate in Arts, Associate in Science, Associate in Criminal Justice, Associate in Religious Studies, Associate in Fine Arts, and Associate in Business. SMC also offers a Paralegal Certification Program. You can transfer to the college or university of your choice to complete the final two years of your Bachelor’s Degree, or stay here and finish your four-year degree online. Either way, SMC is a great place to start.
Here’s why SMC could be the right place for you:
- Students love our supportive, comfortable and close-knit community. Homeschool students thrive in our small classes and enjoy personal attention from professors who are invested in helping them succeed. At large colleges and universities, students take general education classes with hundreds of others in large lecture halls. That doesn’t happen here.
- Professors serve as student academic advisors. You will work directly with a professor to plan your courses and ensure that you are on track to meet your goals. You won’t be left on your own to sink or swim. The first two years of college courses will allow you to explore your interests and then identify the right college to finish your degree.
- Transfer assistance to colleges and universities. 1/3 of all college students transfer to another institution before graduating. Most colleges don’t help their students leave to attend another school. SMC is different: because almost all SMC students transfer after two years, our faculty and staff are focused on assisting you with transferring to the right college to complete your degree.
- Earn a degree in two years. We know that homeschool students are typically better prepared for college than their peers; however, sometimes life gets in the way of their studies. SMC students who stay for two years and meet the requirements will earn an associate degree. If a financial, emotional or family crisis puts your education on hold, you will still have a college degree to fall back on. A recent employment study showed that workers with associate degrees earned as much as $500,000 more over the course of their career than workers with only a high school diploma.
- A Christian-centered education. SMC is affiliated with the United Methodist Church, but we welcome students from all religious and non-religious backgrounds. Chapel services are held weekly (but are not required) and there are a variety of religious activities, clubs and organizations that will help your student stay close to or grow in their faith while at SMC.
4-Year ONLINE Degree Paths
Many of our students wish to continue to save money and time by staying at SMC all four years. If you remain on campus while you complete an online program you can pay reduced room, board and fees. You’ll remain immersed in an academic community with the structure and support you need to stay on track to finish your degree. You’ll get library, advising, career development, and many other support services that you wouldn’t have if you complete your online degree on your own. You’ll also have the support of other students completing similar online degrees.
Here are three ways you can earn a Bachelor’s degree while remaining at SMC:
- Four-Year Online Path via USC’s Palmetto College
For students interested in Accounting, Business Administration, Criminal Justice, Elementary Education, Health Informatics, Health Promotion, Hospitality Management, Human Services, Information Management and Systems, Information Science, Liberal Studies, Organizational Leadership, RN-BSN Nursing and Special Education.
- Four-Year Online Path via the Medical University Of South Carolina (MUSC)
For students interested in health care careers such as Physician Assistant, Occupational Therapy, Physical Therapy, Cardiovascular Perfusion, or Health Administration, this is an exciting option to earn an online degree in Health Care Studies from MUSC.
- Four-Year Path via ANY Online Program
Enroll in an accredited online bachelor’s degree program of your choice. Our advisers will help you find and apply to a degree program that meets your needs.
Woo hoo! Come be a Pioneer! You will need to complete an online application, send your transcript, and submit your SAT/ACT scores. Enter the fee waiver code “homeschool” and we’ll waive your application fee! Click here for application instructions.
Visit our website and take a virtual reality tour. Or schedule a campus tour to take a closer look at SMC. Please contact our Admissions Team with questions or to request more information. We’d love to hear from you!