The world’s largest gaming trade fair entered its 13th edition this year as a virtual event from August 25 to August 27, 2021. Typically held in Cologne, Germany before the COVID-19 pandemic, Gamescom is the European equivalent of the E3 conference. Even though Gamescom 2021 is officially over, you can still stream all content on demand at www.gamescom.global until September 30, 2021!
Every year, dozens of amazing new games are presented at Gamescom. The 2021 preshow contained twice as many trailers as last year’s preshow! Opening Night Live led by Geoff Keighley, which ran for over two hours and featured a mix of indie and AAA announcements, turned out to be the centerpiece of Gamescom 2021.
The Digital Gaming Culture Foundation organizes an award ceremony as part of Gamescom to honor the best new games presented there. After all, in terms of craftsmanship, creativity and innovation, the game developers deserve to receive some recognition for their achievements.
This year, the Gamescom award once again honored the top class of the international gaming scene. A jury of video game experts selected the best games of 2021 in various genre and platform categories. As in previous years, the community could vote for its favorites in two categories of the popular Consumer Awards.
Here are all winners of the Gamescom 2021 Award at a glance:
- Best Action Adventure Game – Elden Ring
- Best Action Game – Far Cry 6
- Best Family Game – Super Dungeon Maker
- Best Indie Game – Lost in Random
- Best Role Playing Game – Elden Ring
- Best Simulation Game – Park Beyond
- Best Sports Game – Riders Republic
- Best Strategy Game – Age of Empires IV
- Best Multiplayer Game – Halo Infinite
- Best Ongoing Game – Apex Legends
- Most Original Game – Dice Legacy
- Best Microsoft Xbox Game – Halo Infinite
- Best Nintendo Switch Game – Mario + Rabbids Sparks of Hope
- Best PC Game – Syberia: The World Before
- Best Sony PlayStation Game – Elden Ring
- Consumer Awards:
- Best Streamer – Fextralife
- Most Wanted – Elden Ring
As you can see, Elden Ring won the most awards by far! The much anticipated open world RPG game being developed by FromSoftware and published by Bandai Namco Entertainment is coming to PlayStation, Xbox, and PC on January 21, 2022. The game was first announced at E3 2019, where it was revealed to be a collaboration between Hidetaka Miyazaki and George R.R. Martin. Some staff from the Game of Thrones television series also assisted with the game’s development.
A 17-minute demo of pre-recorded footage was shown to a select group of journalists and creators during Gamescom 2021, offering the most thorough look at its gameplay so far. Everyone who saw the preview shared at least one unique piece of information and The Lore Hunter compiled them all into one video. Enjoy!